06 March 2010

tomato-basil bread •



This bread came about by trying to replicate the Panera Bread® Mediterranean Veggie sandwich. I will need to do some experimenting next time around, (more herbs!) but for the first attempt it is certainly passable. Especially if you use it as a vehicle for the rest of the sandwich components: hummus, feta cheese, roasted red peppers, red onion, cucumber and lettuce. I even roasted my own red bell peppers for the first time!

Tomato-Basil Bread •

2-1/4 teaspoons yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 cups tomato juice
1/4 cup ketchup
1 cup wet okara
3 tablespoons Sucanat (natural cane sugar)
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon garlic salt
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
2 cups white whole wheat flour
5-7 cups unbleached white flour

In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in the warm water. In a medium saucepan, heat tomato juice, ketchup, and okara until just warm. Stir in Sucanat and olive oil, and yeast mixture. Pour into a large mixing bowl and add cheese, salt, herbs and 2 cups of flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually add in as much flour as needed to make a soft dough. Depending on how much moisture is in your okara and flour, this could be anywhere from five to seven additional cups of flour. Knead for ten minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to coat all sides. Let the dough rise until doubled, approximately 1-1/2 hours. Punch down, divide dough in half, and shape into loaves. Place in two greased 9 x 5 x 3 loaf pans and let rise until doubled. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes.

26 comments:

Deborah said...

I don't have a Panera near by, so this bread would be perfect for me to make!

RJ Flamingo said...

It looks terrific! I'm in Italian mode, this week, and love all the flavors.

toontz said...

Deborah-
I hope you try it. It was so easy, and the dough has a beautiful tint to it. It certainly hits the spot when you are craving that sandwich!

RJ Flamingo-
Thank you! If you decide to make it, boost the herbs a little - it wouldn't hurt.

Katie said...

Oh my God. I LOVE Panera (shamelessly), but I'm too unmotivated to drive to the closest Panera because it's 5 miles of traffic away. I have to make this bread.

Magdalena said...

Interesting! I 'm making tofu today again so I will have a lot of okara left :) thanks for the recipe!

glamah16 said...

Im driving up for a Sammie . Looking good .

Bread said...

This recipe looks great.

Shelby said...

Your loaf of bread is so tall and perfect looking in texture. I am going to have to try it!

grace said...

first of all, i love panera bread in general. secondly, their tomato-basil bread is one of my absolute favorite varieties. hooray for a homemade version--this looks awesome!

toontz said...

Katie-
I hear you. Our closest Panera is a fifteen to twenty minute drive. Sometimes, I think that is a good thing, lol.

Magdalena-
Good luck with your tofu, and let me know if you try the bread.

Courtney-
You know you are welcome at my house for lunch anytime!

Bread, HoneyB-
Thank you.

Grace! I wish you lived closer, I would have you over for some! :)

kat said...

Interesting flavoring for bread, sounds yummy.

crunchyveganwifelife said...

Hi there!
I wnated to let you know I am following you, I read you blog and I love it! Thought we could be bloggy friends and swap Idea's!
Can't wait to hear from you!!!
Oh btw, your bread rocks!

toontz said...

Kat-
Thank you!

Vivacious Vegan-
Thank you for the compliments. I would love to swap ideas, too.

Anonymous said...

oh yay, new recipe !!!

toontz, you are my Okara Queen!
The family is totally addicted to the multigrain bread, - and rightly so!

Thank you for everything and, - please, keep the good stuff coming :) (not that I were selfish or stuf, nono)

Marija said...

Long time no see.

Hope you'll post more often :)

Anna said...

Lovely bread looks so yummy, and loved the indian Twitter. LOL.

Thistlemoon said...

Love it!!! What a great idea to re-create the Panera bread. It looks very good!

Anonymous said...

This bread sounds great! Just stumbled upon your blog because I was looking for okara recipes - I make soy milk 1-2 times a week and always wonder what to use the okara for: I have used it in bread so far, have made yummy vegetable okara patties and made a traditional Japanese dish - the latter one wasn't very yummy, though. Looking forward to reading more recipes here. Going to browse through your blog soon...

toontz said...

ap269-
Welcome! I hope you have success with all the recipes you try here. If not, I hope you will let me know, too, lol.

Devaki said...

Dear Toontz - Wonderful to have a flavor herb bread recipe for the summer. Especially with a rich summer soup :)

Thanks for that!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Danielle said...

i'm not sure what i did wrong, but my bread barely rose and turned out super dense. that being said, the flavor was still fantastic! i will have to try this again. was i supposed to use bread flour? maybe that's where i went wrong...

toontz said...

Danielle-
I am sorry the bread didn't turn out! Was your yeast old? Hmm, try the recipe again using ingredients that are slightly warmed up first. Let me know if you continue to have problems! Toontz

Sarah said...

I stumbled across this recipe since I wanted to recreate the Panera bread and have basil in my garden. I had a question, how do I adjust for baking in a bread machine? Since I have a bread machine and no loaf pans. Thanks! My roommate saw the recipe too and we want to bake it so bad!

toontz said...

Sarah-
I am not sure how this would work in your bread machine. Maybe just try to swap out what you usually use for wet/dry ingredients, add the herbs and go from there. Good Luck! Toontz

Anonymous said...

i hope you add more recipes!

Anonymous said...

If the bread doesn't rise, as with all breads using yeast, make sure you are using cooked Okara. Cooked Okara is made by soy milk machines, and raw Okara is made when you make your soy milk by hand and with just a blender. Raw Okara interferes with yeast fermentation.