29 April 2008

what’s in a name? the slug •



As much as I would like to introduce this dinner as something else, I can’t. You know how nicknames come about. The little darlings start bantering and the hubby chimes in. They think they are being terribly clever, and the next thing you know, the lovely dinner you chopped, minced and sautéed over is affectionately called “The Slug”. Just because it was a tad longer than the baking sheet I chose, and I had to slightly curl it into a *gulp* worm shape. Despite the handle that it carries, this dinner a wonderful cheesy conglomeration rolled up in a yeast bread made with okara. Serve it with a crispy, green salad. I promise that it won’t be slimy at all.

The Slug • 

The Dough

1-3/4 cups warm water
1 (1/4 ounce) package active dry yeast (2-1/4 teaspoons)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1-1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup warm wet okara (this is referring to the okara straight from your machine)
4 cups white unbleached flour
1 cup whole wheat flour

In a large mixing bowl sprinkle yeast over warm water. Let it sit and dissolve for about 5 minutes. Stir and add the oil, salt, okara, and 2 cups of white flour. Beat well until gluten forms; the mixture will become stringy. Gradually add the rest of the flour until it forms a soft but firm dough. Cover the bowl with a kitchen towel and let rise until double (about 1 hour). While the dough rises, prepare the filling. This recipe makes enough dough for 3 thin-crust pizzas, or 1 thin crust pizza and 1 Slug.

The Filling

1 cup dehydrated tomatoes 

Place dehydrated tomatoes in a bowl and cover them with warm water.

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 cup sweet yellow bell pepper, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups white button mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups mozzarella cheese
2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
2 teaspoons dried basil
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper

 In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Sauté the  bell pepper, onion, and mushrooms until mushrooms are reduced and slightly browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 10 seconds. Drain the tomatoes and add to the skillet, sauté briefly. Add salt. 

Oil a baking sheet with olive oil. Dividing dough into thirds, use two-thirds for your Slug. Using your fingers, press the dough flat onto the baking sheet. Spread your filling evenly across the dough. Sprinkle dough with mozzarella cheese, the herbs and the spices. Starting at long side of your dough, roll up and tuck in the ends, seam side down. Curve the roll slightly to form your Slug. Let rise in a warm area until double, approximately 45 minutes to an hour. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the Slug for 35 to 45 minutes.


7 comments:

Lidian said...

Oh gosh, I think I might rename it when I make this! Otherwise the delicate diners at table might not want to try it, LOL

It looks really good, and I love all the veggies.

We have a family dish entitled Gravy Train after an old dog food commercial, but since I am the only one who saw it (in the 60s) it doesn't seem to bother them! :)

grace said...

i don't care what it's called, it sounds incredible! it was good enough to begin with, but then to toss in dried tomatoes sends it over the top for me. in fact, i might be tempted to eat a real slug if there were dried tomatoes involved.

...okay, maybe not. :)

Elle said...

I' eat that kind of slug--it looks delicious! ;)

toontz said...

Lidian-
I remember Gravy Train, too. Unfortunately, some delicious dishes just look like sludge when you fix them!

Grace-Yes, I would have to be mighty hungry to eat a slug! I would probably have to wash it, dry it, fry it and then smother it in chocolate (and have a whiskey on the side)!

Elle-
It is delicious. There are never any leftovers, which is not necessarily a good thing in a family with teenagers!

Ben-
I can’t believe you have trouble working with yeast with all the incredible food that you fix! Did you read all my tips on Leftover Queens forum? I do rely on some tricks sometimes if the weather is against me. (And it usually is...cold, rainy, damp, freezing - and that is in the summer sometimes! lol)

Anonymous said...

the only bread I've made thus far, was from the db challenge and it was my first bread- taking approx 8-9 hrs- what a way to turn a baker off baking...lol it was good but i've yet to bake another bread

Yours sounds wonderful!

- Pixie

damn i need to sign in first to blogger

toontz said...

Pixie-
I know how you feel. My first month in the db is this month! When I saw the recipe I almost fainted. I do not make cakes from scratch very often, and probably will not for a long time after that project is done! lol

Robyn said...

This sounds really good, despite the name!