26 February 2008

dried apple okara muffins •






I am a better baker than a cook, which isn’t saying much. I had to start somewhere so I decided to start with something not too ambitious...muffins. My kids have to be at school at 7:30 a.m. Not leave for school at that time but actually be sitting at their desks, eager and Ready To Learn. I am sure there are plenty of early risers out there, but I am not one of them and neither are my darlings. Needless to say, the kids are on their own for breakfast. I try to make my muffins as healthy as I can get away with and have them actually eat them. I have a wonderful mother who stills enjoys canning, freezing, and drying fruits and vegetables. Since I provided her with grandchildren she repays me in sharing her bounty. I have her to thank for some delicious dried apple slices. These muffins are moist and keep well in a covered container when completely cool.

Dried Apple Muffins •

Whisk together in a medium mixing bowl:

1/2 cup vanilla soy milk
1 cup wet okara (this is referring to the okara straight from your machine, not drained or dried)
1/4 cup canola oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup vanilla yogurt

Sift together in a large mixing bowl:

2 cups unbleached white flour
1/4 cup ground flaxseed meal
1 teaspoon  cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup brown sugar, tightly packed
4 teaspoons baking powder

Toss in:
 
1 cup chopped dried apples


Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. DO NOT OVER MIX. Fill your muffin tins with enough paper liners for 16 muffins, or generously grease and flour your tins.  Spoon the batter into the liners about two-thirds full.* Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until lightly brown. You can test them with a wooden toothpick; if it comes out clean take them out. Depending on the wetness of your okara, the baking times might be slightly different. Cool for 10 minutes,  take muffins out of tins and place on wire racks to cool completely. If you use paper liners, you must cool the muffins completely or the muffins will stick to the liner. Makes one and a half dozen.

*One of the items I would have a hard time living without in my kitchen is my stainless steel scoop from Pampered Chef®. It makes filling muffin tins so easy.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

can i just use fresh apples instead of dried apples?

toontz said...

Michelle, I think using fresh apples would be just fine. Let me know how they turn out! The only reason I used dried apples is because my mother gives me a couple of tins full every fall.