04 June 2008

triple dog dare challenge •



I was viewing some of the recipes from the Joust the other day, when I ran across this post by Peter from Souvlaki For the Soul. Aren’t those photos just gorgeous? In that beautiful conglomeration are beets and parsnips, two vegetables that I just do not have any kind of association with. Why is that? I lamented to my husband that there are so many items in the grocery store that I just pass by, without even giving them a second thought, just because I have never eaten them before. Or had a bad experience with growing up. My mother, when she fried eggplant, would laugh at me because the smell would literally run me out of the house. I hate brussels sprouts, though my sister raves about them. My little darlings have never eaten a turnip, just because I have never picked one up at the grocery. That is about to change. Introducing: the Triple Dog Dare challenge. 

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] NOW it was serious. A double-dog-dare. What else was there but a triple-dare-you, and then, the coup de grace of all dares, the sinister triple-dog-dare.

Schwartz: I TRIPLE-dog-dare ya!

Ralphie as Adult: [narrating] Schwartz created a slight breach of etiquette by skipping the triple-dare-you and going right for the throat!
From the film A Christmas Story.




The Very Simple Rules:

Every month The Dog will dare you to pick up a specific item that you have never had before. This month will be FRUIT

Post about your experience on your blog. You can create a dish if you would like. Or not. Our main objective is just to try something new. 

Include the Triple Dog Dare logo with a link to this announcement in your post, and then update later with a link to round-up.

Send an email to: okaramountain.tdd(at)gmail(dot)com (this is a special address)by the 27th of each month.

  Subject Line: Triple Dog Dare
  Your name and location
  Your blog URL
  Link to your Triple Dog Dare post.
  If you would like, a photo of your item or experience, 200 x 200 pixels.

After all the entries are in, I will post the round-up, and randomly choose (with the help of a little darling) the winner of a “Major Award”. 

Mr.Parker:  It’s a Major Award!

Swede: Shucks, I wouldn’t know that. It looks like a lamp.

Mr. Parker: What is a lamp, you nincompoop? It’s a Major Award. I won it!
Swede: Damn, hell, you say won it?
Mr. Parker: Yeah, mind power, Swede; mind power.
From the film A Christmas Story.

This month’s major award will be a two hand-painted wineglasses, which you can use to wash down your chosen entry if need be! (Photo will be up soon)

Logos


250 pixels


300 pixels


400 pixels

About the Triple Dog Dare Logo

The dog in the logo was created by my oldest darling. She fashioned the drawing after our “precious” (I do not call him that) dog, Pippin. Pippin was not named after the apple variety (though the girth would apply) but the character from the Lord of the Rings trilogy by J.J.R. Tolkien, the inquisitive and lovable hobbit, Peregrin Took. Pippin, like his namesake, lives to eat. Almost anything. 


24 comments:

Ruth Elkin said...

Wow... We do dare then double dare then triple dare then the biggest is a king dare..... but I'm up for being triple dog dared! Think I know exactly what I'm going to get for this too!

Love the idea of this challenge toontz!

Beth said...

Fun! I think this month's food, fruit, will be a challenge for me. I LOVE fruit, so there isn't much I haven't tried. Hmm...

Elle said...

Great idea! so, any fruit, as long as it's new to us?

toontz said...

Ruth-Oooo, a King Dare! Now that’s Big!
Beth-Surely, there’s one at there somewhere?
Elle-Yes, any fruit, just any that you have never tried before! I am all for simplicity!

bagel said...

So you're not going for like really out there fruit you wouldn't touch with a pole? Just a fruit I'm not familiar with? Sounds like fun.

cookinpanda said...

Great challenge idea. Have to search for a new fruit...

Emiline said...

Good idea! Sounds like fun. I'll have to see what I can find at the grocery store. I've tried all...I think. I'll look.

Grace said...

oooh, this sounds like fun--i'm always up for a dare! i think i might have to look hard for a fruit i haven't tasted (and loved)...

Natashya said...

Eep! You know I have a weakness for doggies. Must go on a scary fruit search now.

Dave said...

You're not missing anything with the turnips, unless you're fond of watery pulp that tastes like dirt the dog's been rolling in... [g]

JennDZ - The Leftover Queen said...

Hmmmm...I am gonna have to think of a fruit...there are so many I have tried. Guess I'll see what are on the offerings at the grocery when we go next.

toontz said...

Bagel-No, just a fruit that you have never eaten before.
Cookinpanda, Emiline & Grace-Just Google unusual fruit and see what comes up!
Natasha-Well, the fruit doesn’t have to be scary!
Dave-Mmm, I would have to guess you are not a fan of turnips!
Jenn-Maybe a Specialty store?

Passionate baker...& beyond said...

How precious the sweet little fellow is. We had a little pappilon like that when we were kids...you have evoked great memories! Triple dare FRUIT sounds great to me. have just tried it with peach coz my little boy wouldn't touch it, but is now sold on it. Will try & extend the challenge to another fruit this month...WAY TO GO!!

toontz said...

Deeba-
Oh, yeah, he sure is precious...until it is time for the children to feed/bathe/clean up after him! That is why I do not call him "precious", because it usually falls on my shoulders!

Dharm said...

Sounds like fun Toontz! I"ve tried almost all of the fruits that we can get over here in these neck of the woods... maybe I'll go down to the market and have a look see what I havent tried - but i dont think theres much I havent tried....

toontz said...

Dharm-
Fresh, frozen, dried - just something you have never tried before!

Marija said...

I've been looking around farmer's markets and supermarkets but still no luck with new fruits :( And there are so many I still haven't tried! Maybe something will come out these days.

toontz said...

Marja-You know, I was looking in my supermarket the other day at fresh fruits and couldn’t find a thing. I am going to have to go searching, myself!

maybelles parents said...

great idea and title.

Prudence - Cake Chica said...

What a GREAT idea!! Sounds like FUN!!

diva said...

this sounds awesome! thanks for the email notifying me abt it. i'm currently rather busy with packing and moving (both homes and country for the summer) and it's quite a pain cause it's taking up so much time and space. argh!

if i find the time, i'll definitely find something in my recipe book i can whip up to take part in this challenge!

White On Rice Couple said...

Wait a minute!! We found your e-mail about this to us in our SPAM! What happened?
But what a fun event! We'll be adding this to our blog event calendar for sure! Love the name too! So will our dogs! ;) Maybe they can come up with a meal for this event!

Kimi said...

I could not find a fruit around here that I haven't tried. I'll check back next month?

Christine said...

Seems people need some help finding a fruit. Here is a site that might be useful (copy & paste): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_fruit#Tropical_fruits
Now finding the fruit...that could pose an issue. :)