01 June 2008

an appetizer with an identity crisis •





I have had all month to think about an entry to the 12th Joust over at the Leftover Queen’s forum. Elle from Elle’s New England Kitchen chose three incredible ingredients: Lime, Almond and Raspberry. I immediately thought of something sweet but Elle mentioned that she would like to see some savory entries. Well, I could not seem to get my mind around anything savory...I finally gave up. I set out yesterday to make a candy-like bar with a crisp almond-chocolate crust, raspberry buttercream layer, lime buttercream layer and chocolate layer on top. Sounds divine, no? Well, you win some, and you lose some. My chocolate layer seized up, and my buttercream was too thin, and melted into the chocolate layer when I poured it on. An thought occurred to me, maybe I was meant to make something savory after all. I had two hours to narrow down my choices. I wanted to make it vegetarian, so everyone in the family would eat it. I finally decided on an appetizer, because frankly, I don’t have many appetizer recipes on my blog. After testing the first batch of appetizers, we all agreed it was missing something—perhaps something SWEET? I threw in some golden raisins to balance the salty, tangy and subtly spicy taste. The other identity issue? The filling is PINK! With a glass of chilled white wine—perfect party food.

A Sweet and Savory Appetizer •

Crust: Approximately one half recipe of Slug dough.

Filling:

1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon lime zest
1 teaspoon lime juice
2/3 cup sweet vidalia onion, (chopped and sauteed in butter and olive oil until translucent) cooled slightly
1/2 teaspoon chipolte pepper in adobo sauce, finely chopped
1 cup frozen red raspberries, thawed, and drained
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon sugar
1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
1/2 cup chopped golden raisins
1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds (need more for tops if desired)
Freshly grated pepper to taste

Glaze: 1 egg beaten with 1 tablespoon water.

In a large mixing bowl, combine filling ingredients. Place filling in refrigerator while you shape the dough.

Divide dough into three pieces. Roll one piece of dough out on a lightly floured surface until it is between 1/8 inch and 1/16 inch thick. Cut into 2 inch squares. Place a scant teaspoon of filling in the middle of each square. Bring points together in the middle, press together, and seal seams. Make sure all seams are sealed well, otherwise the filling will seep out. Place appetizers (16) on a greased baking sheet to rise for approximately 30 minutes. Continue with remaining dough and filling. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush appetizers with egg glaze and sprinkle toasted almonds on top. Bake appetizers for approximately 15 minutes or golden brown. Remove to wire rack to cool slightly. Serve warm. 

UPDATE: Being that I was finishing this post up at 9:00 p.m. last night, I didn’t finish making all the appetizers. I had a small taste of the filling today, and the flavor melded superbly overnight. So my suggestion: try and make the filling ahead of time.

5 comments:

Grace said...

that's an extremely interesting list of ingredients--i'm definitely intrigued! and it's pink? how fun! the men in my life probably wouldn't appreciate that, but i do! :)

Rosie said...

A pink filling such a great girly colour :) Like the sweet & sour sound to this!

diva said...

looks lovely.
i notice that a lot of things left overnight usually turns out having a better flavour! :)

toontz said...

Grace-The pink filling really throws you off. In fact, one of my kids thought it was some yummy frosting sitting in the refrigerator. She put on a great face when that finger hit her mouth! (Serves her right! lol)

Thanks, Rosie. It is a lovely color. The raisins really evened it out.

Diva-Especially with the onions.

cookinpanda said...

Really interesting ingredients!